Wednesday 27 October 2010

Avignon, South of France

I know, I know…it has taken forever, but finally I have a chance to tell you about the last leg of my holiday in Europe with my humans. Following visits to Monaco, Nice and Barcelona we finally started the long journey home to Italy. On the way back, we just had time for one final stopover in the town of…

Avignon in Provence, France.

Avignon is a charming place which is steeped in history…

…For instance, here’s me and Missus in front of the famous Saint Bénézet Bridge (or Pont d' Avignon)

And here I am looking ‘windswept and interesting’ with the city walls in the background

Avignon is particularly renowned for being the home of several popes during the Middle Ages.

Me and Dad posing at the Palais des Popes.

And yours truly with the Notre-Dame des Doms cathedral in the background.

Whilst taking in the historic sights of the Pope’s Palace, something more unusual caught my eye – a giant elephant standing on its trunk. Honestly...

...See what I mean? (I bet you thought I’d been drinking too much French wine!).

The excitement was too much and we had to sit down for the obligatory café lunch.
Alright folks, that's the end of my summer holiday posts. I hope you enjoyed. 

Woof!

P.S.: Dad was touched by all of the birthday wishes he received and he wanted me to send a big 'Thank You' to everyone on his behalf.

13 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

OMG, Homer! Did you know that there is an elephant about to fall on top of you and crush you? You might want to think about moving - QUICKLY!
One more fabulous adventure to add to your travel diary! You are one lucky boy!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

How Sam Sees It said...

Any idea why there was an elephant in town? It is really neat!

Sam

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Sur le Pont d'Avignon - la la la la.....

Thanks for stopping by with your good wishes for Phantom. And a belated happy birthday to your Dad.

You are so lucky to be able to visit all those wonderful places in Europe. One day Mom hopes to get there too.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Thanks fur sharing your pawesome holidays with us!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and The Golden Khousins

Lorenza said...

Homer!
Thanks for sharing all those pictures!
Sure you all had a great trip!
Aaaand that elephant.... sure he drunk a lot!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love the elephant!! It reminds me of "Horton" from Dr. Seuss...By the way, if you ever need someone to carry your bowl for you on one of your amazing adventures, please let me know, okay? :-)

The Luke said...

Homer! Those photos were truly majestic! And the scenery was nice, too!

You sure are one lucky (and the Mom says very handsome) boy!

wif love from the Luke

Golden Samantha said...

Terrible that it's been so long again - we LOVE your holiday posts and wish your DAD a belated Happy Birfday! I love those pictures of you in Avignon - tu es si beau, Homer, dans chaque photographe, il n'a meme pas ou! Nous nous avons rire a l'elephant! Quelle travail d'art! Thanks so much again for sharing your great travels!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and Avalon

Ben said...

Homer-
I love traveling Europe with you. You especially handsome with windswept hair.
Ben and the Fellas

Unknown said...

Avignon looks gorgeous! Hsin-Yi was very excited to see this post coz she used to learn a song in her French class in school all about dancing on the bridge at Avignon!

Hey Homer - why were you asking me whether I was going to dress up for Hallowe'en? Are you? I did LOVE your gladiator outfit! But Hsin-Yi isn't as handy with her hands as her Missus (she can't even sew a button straight) so I don't think she'd be much good at making costumes! I wish I lived near you 'coz then your Missus could make me one and we could dress up together! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Bruce from Down Under said...

Hi Homer, you certainly are a travelling dude. Loved all your pictures especially the elephant one. I would have been too scared to get close in case it fell on me!. You look like a very happy family that's for sure. No worries, slobbers Bruce.

Thor and Jack said...

Hi Homer. What a wonderful trip you had! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Lucille said...

Homer!
when your humans go on holiday they really are great tourists...
So many interesting places...
Plus they are very nice, they take you with them... not like me...
I stay at home....
Speak to you soon
Ciao your Juliet